Blog Post 9

 Being a distance learner has its benefits but also a few key drawbacks which has made it difficult for me to enjoy my time at FSU. One of the biggest benefits to being a distance learner is the flexibility it gives me in my schedule for work. It allows me to work almost full time and still have time to watch lectures after I get off work. Recording lectures is something I firmly believe in and allows students who have other obligations to flexibly plan their week. At the same time, it's difficult to engage the material and because professors are still navigating these new waters alongside us, it results in a lot of busy work assigned to the students which can be easily graded. If I am ever put in the situation where I have to teach on a distance learning platform, I will hold a zoom call every week to talk with students and then create smaller groups that I can pop into throughout the week.

An open educational resource is a academic resource that is available to the general public. These could be resources like open textbooks, streaming videos, and open courseware. Khan academy is a great resource for students which provides free, high quality education to anyone, anywhere. Resources like these help teachers reach people in far out places. Being able to access free education is a fundamental necessity to furthering the worlds population. Through Khan Academy, people can watch informational videos on nearly every subject on every subject level. https://www.khanacademy.org/

The two PowerPoint assignments were both challenging in different ways and were somewhat time consuming. I learned new skills such as putting navigation buttons on the PowerPoint as well as removing the toggle back and forth between slides. I also learned some extra skills like keeping a score counter as well as making text boxes disappear after they have been selected. These assignments however, were time consuming, especially the interactive game. Making sure to allot time to complete these assignments is crucial for students to know. Beyond that, it was a learning experience for me and got me very familiar with PowerPoint's tools.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 8

Blog Post 2

Blog Post 5