Blog Post 5

 Using Twitter has not always been a useful experience in that most of the information gathering that I was doing was coming from Google news and various news outlets. Whenever I used Twitter, it seemed like a clunky way to gather inconsistent and rumored material. As of recent, I have been able to use Twitter in a way I actually feel benefits me. Following more Twitter pages that I find interesting has allowed me to get a glance of several social circles that I enjoy. Being able to get early news on new stock market movements and learning about new advances in companies around the world allows me to be more educated in the way I conduct my personal and financial growth. Using Twitter in the future will allow me to stay updated and connect with people as well as update other people on new findings that I might come across.

The digital divide is the separation between students who have access to the internet or technological tools and those who do not. As a student this is very important, especially at a young age because the internet as well as new technologies have been created to help further advance the learning potential of individuals. Getting these tools to impressionable young kids is extremely important to the further advancement of these technologies. Causes include lack of access to capital for schools, low income households, and oversight by government officials to give these kids access to technological tools. Many teachers when they are just starting out find themselves in some school systems that are not well equipped when it comes to technology and can inhibit their ability to effectively teach their students the skills needed in order to properly use the internet and new technologies. If I was a teacher in this position, I would work to advocate on behalf of the students and the school in order to give my students access to the internet. Making sure to teach them critical technological skills whether that be on a single computer at the front of the class or in a computer lab provided by the school. Also making sure that my students were well equipped at home to use their devices to to their advantage would be a goal of mine.

One of the obvious academic software's I would include in my curriculum is the Office suite. Learning how to use these tools is imperative in the personal and professional advancement of students. Software like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel make developing presentations and keeping records for companies extremely easy. Another software that I actually enjoyed using as a student was Kahoot which allowed teachers to create multiple choice quizzes for students to do in class. This is more of a academic tool but it motivates kids to learn and prepare for material in class. Often times, teachers will also use this as an opportunity to award students extra credit which could further help and motivate students.


Comments

  1. Hey Devin,
    Im gonna have to disagree with you a little on twitter. For a while twitter was a super useful tool for me. I don t watch the news so I would get all my information from there and it lso kept me up to date on memes and such which I also liked. I think you summed up the digital divide elequently. I think your solution of forcing government officials to pay attention and to make sure students have access to what they need Is super important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 8

Blog Post 2